You’ve probably heard of the ‘tiny home’ movement that’s taking the nation by storm, but did you know that some of those homes are built from shipping containers? And some of these shipping container homes are not so tiny, either!
There are many reasons why people choose to make their homes from these huge, recycled metal boxes:
- Recycling used shipping containers is an environmentally friendly way of having your own home. Instead of using massive amounts of conventional building materials, you’ll be upcycling a few tons of ‘scrap’ steel.
- Building from shipping containers saves time and materials. After all, the main structure of your new home is already there. You’ll be moving into it in much less time than if was stick-built.
- They are often much less expensive per square foot than conventional homes.
- Metal shipping containers are resistant to both fire and termites.
- Shipping containers are unlikely to develop leaks or the resultant mold.
- Shipping containers are designed to take a beating and just keep going. Even full of heavy loads, they’re swung from cranes, stacked and unstacked, loaded and unloaded, exposed to salt air and salty roads… Is it any wonder that they make a sturdy base for a new home?
- The fire and safety ratings of homes made from these containers is very high. If a hurricane is approaching, just seal up your containerized home and defy the elements to breach its defenses!
A shipping container home can be just as spacious, comfortable, and stylish as any other home. Don’t believe that? Check out these homes for yourself. It’s hard to believe they started out as humble, hardworking shipping containers! If you would like to look into building one of these unique homes, contact us. We can help you on your way to a shipping container home of your own.